A Fabulous Programme of 2022 Festivals and Events is Supported with £100,000 of funding by the Council
The Council is to provide funding of over £99,000 for a total of 31 major festivals and community events projects. We will also provide marketing assistance and support for many of the events, which takes total Council investment in the projects to well over £100,000.
The funding comes from the Council’s Major Festivals and Events Strategy 2018-2021, which has been extended for one final year, to cover financial year 2022/23. A new events strategy will be prepared by the Council in partnership with other regional agencies and community organisations by the Autumn of this year. Seven projects are to receive £60,000 in total from the Major Events Strategic Fund. These are;
- The Galloway Off Road Motorsports Festival, Drumlanrig, 18 – 19 June
- Two traditional music festivals in Newton Stewart and Minnigaff, organised by the Trad Music Trust (festivals take place July 8 – 10 and October 21 – 23)
- The Scottish National Sheepdog Trials, Thornhill, 17 – 20 August
- Stranraer Oyster Festival, 2 – 4 September
- Music at the Multiverse, September 3 – 4
- The Galloway Hills Rally, 9 – 10 September
- The Wild Goose Festival, Dumfries, 22 – 29 October
Twenty four grassroots community events projects received £40,000 in total from the Council’s Community Events Fund.
A Council spokesperson said, “There is deep-rooted, high quality, events management skills across Dumfries and Galloway, within our community and voluntary organisations, and this is leading to a strong recovery in our events programme. With our region being a standout destination for staycations; local people and holidaymakers will have lots of great entertainment and fabulous events available to visit in 2022. The Council is genuinely thrilled at the response we have had over the past two years, to the introduction of the Community Events Fund. The Council’s announcement of grant support for thirty one great projects is additional to the confirmed support we will provide to our Signature Events such as the Wigtown Book Festival and the upcoming Arts Festival and Spring Fling.